The whole of Government will take into use a single ‘gov.fi’ email suffix in stages. During the rest of 2021, the email addresses of all staff members at the ministries will change to addresses ending in ‘gov.fi’. The first ones to take the new suffix into use are the Prime Minister's Office and the Ministry of Justice, adopting it on 23 August 2021.
After this, the email addresses of all staff members will, as a rule, be in the format [email protected] If a person has the same first and last name as another central government employee, their email address will have an additional identifier, such as the first letter of their middle name.
The email address of the registry of the Ministry of Justice will remain unchanged for the time being.
Emails sent to the old email addresses will still reach their recipients for two years after the new suffix is adopted. The change will not affect the website addresses of the ministries. They will remain unchanged.
Please note that the ‘@gov.fi’ email address will not work until the ministry in question has taken it into use. The change will take place in stages. You can check contact information for up-to-date email addresses:
Schedule for adopting the new email suffix
- The Prime Minister’s Office and the Ministry of Justice will take the ‘@gov.fi’ suffix into use on 23 August 2021.
- The Ministry of Transport and Communications, the Ministry of Agriculture and Forestry, the Ministry of Education and Culture, the Ministry of Defence and the Ministry of the Environment will adopt the ‘@gov.fi’ suffix on 6 September 2021.
- The Ministry of Social Affairs and Health, the Ministry of Economic Affairs and Employment and the Ministry of Finance will introduce it on 20 September 2021.
- At the Ministry of the Interior, the email suffix ‘@govsec.fi’ will be in use starting on 4 October 2021.
- The Foreign Service will adopt the new suffix at the end of October.
The schedule is subject to change.