A possibility to vote by post will be introduced in Finland in the parliamentary elections of 2019. Eligible voters living permanently abroad and eligible voters staying abroad during the advance voting period and on the election day will have the right to vote by post in general elections.
Today, the President of the Republic approved legislative amendments by which a new provision on a violation of entry ban will be added to the Criminal Code of Finland. Until now, violations of entry ban have usually been punished as violations of the Aliens Act, for which the punishment is a fine. In future, a person violating an entry ban will be sentenced either to a fine or to imprisonment for at most one year.
The Ministry for democracy and the rule of law
- The aim is to improve drafting of statutes and the quality of the statutes.
- The Ministry of Justice prepares the fundamental provisions relating to the Constitution and the public administration. These include the laws regulating the competency of the President of the Republic, the Parliament and the Government and their relations.
- The Ministry of Justice functions as the national coordinating body for anti-corruption work in Finland
- International legal assistance is often based on multilateral conventions. It is also regulated through bilateral treaties.
- The EU-related activities and international cooperation conducted by the Ministry of Justice aim to maintain an open, active and safe society where people can be confident that their rights are being respected.