Democracy indicators are used for monitoring the state and development of Finnish democracy. Indicators describing the development of democracy and related phenomena are used for monitoring the development of Finnish democracy in the following thematic areas:
- the state of Finnish democracy in general
- representative democracy
- direct and participatory democracy and open government
- democracy and human rights education and participation of young people
- media environment and a pluralistic culture of debate
- an active and vibrant civil society
The Ministry of Justice has provided funding for the collection of data that the democracy indicators are based on, carried out in connection with parliamentary elections. The Ministry has also funded indicator-related reporting. The Finnish Social Science Data Archive is responsible for maintaining and developing the indicators, which are published in the Finnish Election Study Portal.